Meeting House Hill Cemetery in Brattleboro, VT was established in 1768 by the citizens of the town as the site for their first meeting house and cemetery, hence the name. In the early years of the town’s history, town meetings and religious services alike were held at the meeting house, as there was no other structure for the purpose. Over time, the center of town moved off the hill and down to the edge of the Connecticut River where new churches and buildings took over the duties of the old meeting house. The cemetery remains, however, in continuous use to this day.
For the historically minded, Meeting House Hill is home to many of Brattleboro’s citizens from the latter half of the 18th century to the present day. Visitors are free to browse the headstones and pay their respects to such early community notables as John Arms, Samuel Wells, and Madame Sherri.
Through the centuries, many residents of Brattleboro have chosen Meeting House Hill as their final resting place. Its natural beauty and historic character make it a desirable location for the departed, their families and friends.
If you would like to purchase a traditional or natural gravesite, please contact us.